About the Covenant of Crows
Covenant of Crows is a multi-venue community of gamers who enjoy spending time together indulging in our favorite hobbies. Many of us have been friends both online and off for many years, are older than the general demographic for gamers, have families, jobs and responsibilities that take priority over our mutual hobbies, but we still try to find time to game.
Our interests are quite varied and the Covenant of Crows exists as a space to share those interests. Our focus is on all sorts of games, with a particular emphasis on online multiplayer games, though not exclusively limited to that. This is also a place for other offline hobbies, from movies and television, to music, and to books. We exist as a social space for all things geeky. We refer to this space as our “Murder”.
Regardless of the game and/or venue, we aim to create a space that encompasses the following core principles:
• Community – Community lies as the cornerstone of what we are and everything we do. Without it, there’s no point in our being here. There are plenty of places online that allow for people to simply play games and there’s nothing wrong with that. There aren’t as many that provide a sense of community. Though we do try to be all things to all people, we don’t sacrifice our sense of community for anything and it is our first consideration.
• Honesty and Integrity – All of us try to do what is right, even if that might mean we come up short ourselves from time to time. Whether someone is in the “Murder” or not, they have an expectation of fair treatment from us. We don’t hack, cheat or otherwise deceive anyone. We believe in fair play.
• Openness – On the Murder-level, we try to be as transparent and open as possible in all of our dealings. There is a general council to guide the Murder and these members may change over time, but the idea is that when decisions need to be made, we seek to build consensus rather than dictate. We strive to involve everyone in decision-making and we appreciate open conversation.
• Mutual Respect – We respect that everyone is here to have a good time and enjoy their hobbies in a community of friends. We do not denigrate others for how they may choose to enjoy their time and we do not engage in ad hominem argumentation. We try to appreciate everyone’s differences and create an environment where it is safe to expose your geeky side without fear.
• Fair Play and Inclusivity – We try not to draw distinctions between groups of players and, when possible, we try to help each other to enjoy our hobbies to the extent that they wish to do so. There is room enough for people of all levels of skill and involvement, from the very hardcore pro-players, to the ultra-casual. In general, we attempt to cater to the people who are most involved in any gaming arena, but still maintain a space where a more casual player also feels welcome.